The Hindi Writing Workshop has been developed by the author of 6 bestsellers, the writer of various viral videos including ‘Holi Mubarak and ‘Not so Casual sex’ (Performed by Amol Parashar). He has also been the creator of the most loved shows ‘Dil Local’ & ‘Piya Milan Chawk’ on Amazon audible.
Ex- AGM marketing and Ex content editor of a leading channel, he is now India’s top Hindi author – Divya Prakash Dubey.
- When: July 20th-24th, 2022
- Where: The Himalayan Writing Retreat, Satkhol Village. Uttarakhand – 263138 (India). Details here. We are a Covid safe facility. ( Our workshops are rated 5/5 on Google, and our venue, ‘The Quiet Place’ is rated 5/5 on TripAdvisor.)
- Class size: 10 participants
- Level: Novice-Intermediate Writers of all languages
Kahani ki Kaksha is 3 days residential workshop of story writing and telling, designed not just for the potential storytellers but also for the enthusiasts willing to tell their first story.
In these three days, you will learn various hacks of writing and will be given some amazing creative exercises to get your creative juices flowing. These three days will be followed by a peer-to-peer feedback session.
The Hindi Writing Workshop focuses on teaching you the basics of writing effective emotional and engaging stories for various platforms.
Through learning from real-life experiences and anecdotes from Divya Prakash Dubey’s phenomenal journey from corporate to full-time writer & show creator, you would get a clear path to conceptualizing, writing, and narrating stories. He will also be picking up people for his writer’s room. (A detailed profile of Divya Prakash Dubey has been shared below.)
The Himalayan Workshop sessions are held in the open or in the book lounge (Pic above). Most meals are served here too, and the wood-burning Bukhari keeps you warm in Winter.
How it works
Pre-work: All participants are assigned some pre-work (short stories) to read.
This Hindi Writing Workshop is spread over three days. We will work every day 9 AM-5 PM IST. We write, share our writing, and get feedback from the group.
Over the first two days, we become better writers and hone our craft. We write many building blocks of our story. On day three we look outward and discuss the various opportunities available for a writer. We understand the publishing options for a first-time author.
Who is it for?
This 3-day residential Hindi Writing Workshop is for novice-intermediate level writers of all languages.
When: July 20th- 24th, 2022
Arrive anytime on July 20th, 2022. Attend the workshop with other participants on July 21st, 22nd, and 23rd with other participants from 9 AM – 5 PM (IST) on each of the three days. Leave on July 24th, 2022. (If you are not staying after)
While you’re here, walk in the wilderness, Bask in the fire, gaze at the stars. Your eyes feast on the magnificent Himalayan dusks and dawns, your ears on the live birdsong concert, your lungs on clean crisp mountain air, and your taste buds on the delectable, homely fare.
A detailed, day-wise break-up of the Hindi Writing Workshop is shared below.
How much: INR 32,000. This includes 3 days, 4 nights of learning, twin-sharing stay, food, and taxes. ( Early bird discounts are available for all registrations done till June 20th, 2022. Discounted price INR 29k)
If selected, you can pay 50% in advance to book your slot and pay the rest two weeks before the workshop.
Single occupancy rooms are charged INR 12000/- extra and are provided only on availability. Please mention it in the form if you are requesting one due for any reason.
A non-participant can stay for an extra charge of INR 16k which includes food, stay, and taxes.
Click here for our Cancellation Policy.
About Divya Prakash Dubey
Divya Prakash Dubey is a Hindi bestseller author, and songwriter and has a couple of short films too credited to his name. His three books, a couple of collections of stories in Hindi – Terms, and Conditions Apply and Masala Chai, and a short novel, Musafir cafe have changed the very fabric of modern Hindi writing.
He is the first Hindi author of this fusion style of writing, thereby making the popular fiction genre of Hindi Indian Literature appealing to a wide audience. His other groundbreaking efforts include the widely-read Sunday Wali Chitthi and StoryBaazi. Both are revolutionary and new ways of storytelling to the masses
All his published books have been bestsellers. His books were in the top ranks of the Dainik Jagran & Nielson’s bestseller list. He is the first person to present a TEDx talk in Hindi. His shows on audible ‘Piya Milan Chawk’ and ‘Dil Local’ have been much-loved.
After being a Corporate Marketing professional and content editor with a leading channel, he is now a full-time writer and develops movies, web series, and audio shows in his writer’s room. He belongs to a new line of Hindi authors who are rewriting the rules of the game. Read more about him at his website: Divya Prakash Dubey | Hindi Author & Storyteller (Storybaazi)
About Chetan Mahajan
Chetan Mahajan has spent two decades working in online learning, both in the US and India. He has taught online as far back as 2006 as a faculty member at the University of Phoenix online.
Chetan is a Penguin-published author and an award-winning blogger. Chetan and his wife Dr. Vandita Dubey (also a published author) moved to the Himalayas five years ago. There they founded the Himalayan Writing Retreat. Chetan is now a full-time author and works as a writing coach independently as well as with the London-based writing coach. He also writes for The Mint, Outlook Magazine, HT Brunch, Reader’s Digest, and Hindu Business Line.
Course Contents of Hindi Writing Workshop
Read the short stories we send you. Make a one-page outline of the project you want to work on.
Reach the Himalayan Writing Retreat. You take in the view, warm your hands by the fire, and spend the evening getting to know your fellow writers.
- Where do stories come from?
- How are stories born?
- How are characters created?
- What is the difference between fiction and non-fiction writing?
- What is fiction writing?
These discussions will be followed by writing exercises and analysis of various case studies.
That evening the Himalayan Participants will head out for a walk to enjoy some Pahadi samosas and chai.
- How to start a story?
- How and when to finish a story?
- How to listen to a story?
- Are writing a story and listening to a story two different things?
- How to edit your work?
After class, we introduce the Himalayan participants to our home-brewed citrus punch which is had with hot water. Those who drink are welcome to try it with the alcohol they bring.
- What is an audio story?
- What is the difference between writing a story and writing an audio story?
- How to make a career in writing?
- How to pitch to publishers?
- Tips on Screenwriting
This will be followed by a few more case studies after which all participants will share their writings for feedback.
The Himalaya participants stargaze/sing songs by the fire / share their talents with the group.
Participants leave after a sumptuous breakfast.
We close with all participants sharing feedback on the experience at the Hindi Writing Workshop.
- Why should I choose HWR Physical / Online Writing Workshop?
- Personal Attention: We don’t take more than 10 students in a class. You get a lot of personal attention and feedback. No classrooms of 20-30 people or one-way pre-recorded videos here.
- Class Quality: For most courses, we filter our participants. You can’t just pay and sign up. We need to see a writing sample (in our application form) to ensure the class is of a uniform standard.
- Cost per hour: Our courses are long and intense. As an example, the Creative Writing course is 18000 for 24 contact hours (3 days, 8 hours each day). The cost per hour = 750 / hour. That is comparable to many of the “cheaper” courses.
- Quality of faculty: No lightweights here. Many of our faculty are award-winners. All are experts and great teachers. We don’t settle for average.
- Feedback scores: Across courses, we are rated 4.5/5, or higher. You can read our reviews HERE.
- Do I get a certificate of participation?
Yes, certificates are available on request.
- Any discounts for students / other categories?
At the Himalayan Writing Retreat, we follow a strict No-Discount policy.
- Is the workshop fee refundable?
Our cancellation policy is as follows:
- Hindi Workshop at the Himalayas: 100% refund if cancellation 4 weeks before the event start date, 50% if cancellation two weeks before the start date, 0% if less than two weeks before the start date.
- Is the Himalayan Writing Retreat a business or an NGO?
The Himalayan Writing Retreat is a social enterprise. It works closely and actively with two local NGOs in its community work initiatives: Chirag and Alaap. In 2020, HWR raised INR 6.1 Lakhs to support the Chirag School.
Feel free to write to us at email@example.com or connect with us at +91 73035 16665 (Call/ WA/Signal).