HWR Flash Fiction Contest
Powered by The Story Cabinet
September 1 – November 15
Do you enjoy writing ultra short-form Fiction? We’re talking 500-2000 words – even shorter than a conventional short story. Think it’s too short? Think again. Saki’s Dusk at 1708 words would qualify. So would Ruskin Bond’s Face in the dark (Select the Kindle edition and click on the look inside) And Seventeen Oranges would qualify too.
If this short format excites you, here is your chance to gain a lot as a writer:
- Himalayan Writing Retreat (HWR) and The Story Cabinet App (TSC) are giving away prizes worth more than INR 50,000.
- The winners get a choice to be coached by some of the country’s best writing coaches or just spend a few days in the serenity of the hills at the Himalayan Writing Retreat (or both).
- All entries get featured on The Story Cabinet App which arguably has the best interface that a short story can get on the internet. Click here to download the app for iOS/Android.
So write a story, get it published, and win lots of awesome prizes.
Details about the contest
What to submit?
We are giving you a wide canvas.
Write your story in any of the following categories:
- Life experiences
Any flash fiction between 500 and 2000 words is acceptable.
Timeline to keep in mind
- The contest Opens on the 1st of September 2022 and closes on the 15th of November 2022
- Winners will be announced on 5th December 2022
- The prizes will be dispatched on or before 31st December 2022
How to participate?
Send your entries as word documents to email@example.com with the title “Entry for HWR Flash Fiction Contest Powered by TSC” The body of the email should contain –
- Pen name (if any)
- Mobile number
- Email address
Make sure you submit the story within the timeline of the contest i.e. 1st September and 15th November 2022.
Prizes you can win!
- 1st prize: INR 25,000 voucher** from Himalayan Writing Retreat
- 2nd prize: INR 10,000 voucher** from Himalayan Writing Retreat
- 3rd prize: INR 3000 voucher** from Himalayan Writing Retreat
- 22 long-listed writers will each get a Himalayan Writing Retreat T-shirt worth 600 each (Pic of T-shirt below)
All these 25 winners will also receive a Certificate.
**Winners can choose to redeem the vouchers against any of the HWR Workshops as suitable for their age and area of interest. These workshops can be physical or online. Alternatively, they can be redeemed for a stay at the retreat.
All prizes have to be redeemed within 9 months of results being declared i.e. by 30 August 2023. Redemption will be subject to availability and age criteria (some workshops are 18+).
Who will decide the winners?
- The editorial team at The Story Cabinet will screen all entries and create a long list of 25 stories
- A select panel of judges will select the winners. The 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize winners along with the 22 long-listed writers will be announced on the 5th of Dec, 2022.
With 12 books to his credit, Neil D’Silva is a known name in the Indian literary world. His unique stories have struck a chord with a wide range of readers, eliciting praise from various quarters. He is published with leading publishers such as Penguin Random House, Rupa Publications, and Hachette among others, and has won screen adaptation deals on four of his books.
He has been named as one of the Top 7 Indian horror writers to be read by UK’s DESIblitz magazine. His books have been listed on Monster Complex, and The Curious Reader, among other prestigious book lists. Considered one of the forerunners of contemporary Indian horror literature, he has been covered by several leading publications and is invited to speak at prominent lit fests around the country, including the Times Litfest, Pune International Literature Festival, Noida International Literature Festival, Shimla International Literature Festival, and Yayavar – Jammu Literature Festival, among others.
Neil D’Silva is the President of the India Chapter of the Horror Writers Association.
He was a winner of the Delhi Literature Festival Short Story Competition in 2015. His book Maya’s New Husband won the title of Entertainer of the Year at the Literary Awards 2015 which was co-hosted by Authors’ Ink Publications and Inside Stories.
Kiran Manral is an award-winning and bestselling author, TEDx speaker, columnist, and mentor. She worked as a journalist before she quit full-time work to be a full-time mommy.
Based in Mumbai, she published her first novel The Reluctant Detective in 2011.
Since then, she has written books across genres in both fiction and non-fiction. She was among the top bloggers in India before she moved on to writing fiction.
Her books include ‘The Reluctant Detective’, ‘Once Upon A Crush’, ‘All Aboard’, ‘Karmic Kids-The Story of Parenting Nobody Told You’, ‘A Boy’s Guide to Growing Up’, ‘True Love Stories’, ‘Saving Maya’ ’13 Steps to Bloody Good Parenting, Raising Kids with Hope and Wonder in Times of a Pandemic and Climate Change, and The Kitty Party Murder.
Her novella, Saving Maya, was long-listed for the Saboteur Awards UK, supported by the Arts Council England. She was shortlisted for the Femina Women Awards for Literary Contribution in 2017. The Indian Council of UN Relations (ICUNR) with the Ministry of Women and Children, Govt of India, awarded her the International Women’s Day Award 2018 for excellence in the field of writing.
Her novels ‘The Face At the Window’ and ‘Missing, Presumed Dead’ were both long-listed for Jio MAMI Word to Screen, and ‘The Face at the Window’ was also shortlisted for the South Asian Film Festival 2019.
She also has published short stories in various magazines, in acclaimed anthologies like Have A Safe Journey, Boo, The Best Asian Speculative Fiction 2018,
Manral is also the founder of India Helps, a network of volunteers who assist disaster victims.
Stuti Changle is a national bestselling author. Her books You Only Live Once and On the Open Road have inspired readers across the country to make a move. Where the Sun Never Sets is her third book.
Stuti has a master’s degree in management from IMI New Delhi. Stuti quit her job to inspire people by sharing life-changing stories. She made her TV debut in 2019 as a host of the TV series Kar Ke Dikhaenge.
Stuti has sailed to the Andamans, camped with Indian jawans in Arunachal Pradesh, scuba-dived in the Indian Ocean, swum with the dolphins in the Mediterranean, floated free for hours in the Atlantic, and wishes to travel the world before she dies. Every year, she spends time in the coastal village of Palolem in Goa. She currently divides her time between India and the US, where she lives with her husband, Kushal Nahata, co-founder and CEO of FarEye.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is there any application fee for this contest?
No, participation in the contest is absolutely free.
- What is the age limit to participate in this contest?
- Who is organizing this event?
This event is being organized by Himalayan Writing Retreat (HWR) in collaboration with The Story Cabinet (TSC)
Himalayan Writing Retreat (HWR) is Asia’s unique writing destination. People come here to learn, escape their routines, and find inspiration. The Himalayan Writing Retreat offers workshops & courses with world-class faculty both online and in the Himalayas.
The Story Cabinet (TSC) – The Story Cabinet is an upcoming short story platform aimed at building a community of readers and writers, especially in the short story space. It’s a space where writers of all levels ( novice to professional) can publish their stories and make an online repository of their work.
TSC ensures that the stories are given the best visual appeal and presentation anywhere on the internet. TSCs unique AI engine works in the background to serve up the most engaging and entertaining short stories to the readers based on their reading preferences.
These stories are bite-sized and can be read within a few minutes before moving on to the next one. It presents a fascinating and creative alternative to this epidemic of watching reels that have left all of us frustrated yet helpless.
Follow this link to download the app and start using TSC – Click Here
- Who will be judging this contest?
HWR will announce a panel of judges shortly
- What is the last date for the submission of entries?
Entries will be accepted till 11:59 PM (IST) on 15th November 2022
- Is this in English only or also in other languages?
The contest is for stories in the English language only. We may run a similar contest for Hindi Flash Fiction in near the future.
- What happens to the copyright of my submissions?
You retain all rights to your stories. The stories will be published on The Story Cabinet App under your name. HWR or TSC do not claim any copyright of your work.
- Why are entries appearing on “The Story Cabinet” before the prizes are announced?
The Story Cabinet is an upcoming storytelling platform aimed at building a community of readers and writers, especially in the short story space. Publishing your stories on TSC is just an attempt to make you a part of this niche community of readers and writers. We are sure that you would love the way we present your story on the app. Publishing a story on the app, however, will have no bearing on the evaluation/result of the contest.
- Can I have my story removed from “The Story Cabinet” if I want?
Yes. You simply need to login into the app with the email address that you have shared along with your entry and remove the entry yourself as it will be published under your name.
In case you face any problems doing it you can connect with us any time at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- I have a great story but it has already been published. Can I submit it?
For the purpose of this contest, we expect you to submit your original and plagiarism-free work which has not been published.
However, you are welcome to publish your stories on TSC even if they have been published elsewhere. While it will not be a part of the contest, TSC will ensure your story gets the best presentation and visual appeal anywhere on the internet! The only condition is that you should have the copyright of the work.
- I have lots of stories, can I submit them all?
Yes! Feel free to send in any number of stories as you wish. Each story will be evaluated as an individual. You can send all of them in a single email or in different emails as and when you complete writing them.
You are also free to publish these stories on your blog or any other place of your choice after the end of the contest period. TSC doesn’t claim the ownership or exclusivity of your content.
- Can the same person win multiple prizes for multiple entries?
Yes, it is possible. Since writers are free to send in any number of entries and the judging will be for each story and not of any particular author there is a possibility that the same person can win multiple prizes for multiple entries.
- I am a published author. Can I participate?
Yes, we welcome all writers to participate in the contest. This is an open contest and we are expecting participation from writers all across the globe. It may be a good place for competing with writers of different nationalities.
- Can there be more than one writer for a story?
The story for the purpose of this contest should be written by one writer only.
Have more questions? Feel free to write to us at email@example.com or connect with us at +91 73035 16665 (Call/ WA/Signal).
Terms and conditions
- Your work should be original,plagiarism-free, and should not have been published anywhere else.
- There is no limit to the number of entries a writer can send. So feel free to send in multiple entries and all of them will be judged as unique entries.
- The Story Cabinet will feature the contest entries on the platform within a few days of them being received. This however has no bearing on the evaluation/result of the contest.
- Employees of TSC and HWR and their immediate family members are not allowed to participate in the contest.
- The evaluation of all the entries will be done by an expert panel of judges. The stories will be evaluated for entertainment value, the freshness of ideas, the quality and strength of the writing, etc. The results declared will be *final and binding*
- TSC is the data controller of Personal Data for this contest. TSC will treat all data in accordance with TSC’s Privacy Notice. The phone number and Email address will be used to create your TSC author account on the TSC app and to publish your contest entry under the author’s name. TSC will use such Personal Data only for the purposes of running the contest and delivering the prizes and will delete it after a reasonable period from the end of the contest. “Personal Data” means the names of entrants and other details provided by them (e.g. email addresses, telephone numbers) for the contest. The data will also be available to HWR who may add email addresses to their newsletter emailing database. Neither TSC nor HWR will further distribute or share this data in any form or manner.
- By participating in this promotion you acknowledge that this is in no way sponsored, endorsed, or administered by, or associated with, Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, or YouTube. You completely release Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, or YouTube of responsibility regarding the outcome of any promotions.
- HWR or TSC will not share your private information with any third party or publicly. The only information that will be shared is your name and/or social media handle at the time of the winner announcement or in any subsequent sharing of your original work submitted.
- By entering the contest, entrants agree to be bound by these terms and conditions.
- These terms and conditions and any disputes or claims (including non-contractual disputes or claims) arising out of these terms and conditions shall be governed and construed in accordance with the laws of Ghaziabad, UP, whose courts shall have exclusive jurisdiction
- Prizes cannot be transferred, redeemed for cash, or substituted by the winner. TSC and HWR reserve the right in their sole and absolute discretion to award a substitute prize of equal or greater value if a prize described in these Official Rules is unavailable or cannot be awarded, in whole or in part, for any reason.
- HWR and TSC shall have no liability for the winner’s failure to receive notices due to spam, junk e-mail, or other security settings or for the winner’s provision of incorrect or otherwise non-functioning contact information. Should the email be returned to the Sponsor as invalid, two more attempts will be made via email and mobile / phone number.
- Failure to contact TSC within that 10 -day period will result in immediate disqualification of the selected entrant and a new winner will be selected. No exceptions will be made to this rule. TSC and HWR are not responsible for and shall not be liable for late, lost, misdirected, or unsuccessful efforts to notify winners.
- Entries that are incomplete or do not adhere to the rules or specifications may be disqualified at the sole discretion of TSC. Entries may not include nudity, profanity, hate speech, bullying, or ethnic discrimination.