Emotional Wellness Retreat with Dr. Vandita Dubey
December 14 – December 18
The Emotional Wellness Retreat has been carefully put together by Dr. Dubey based on her years of training and practice in the field of Clinical Psychology as well as her original research in the area of trauma and resilience. It integrates exercises and concepts from the fields of Mindfulness, Writing for Personal Development, Cognitive Behavior Therapy and Positive Psychology & Resilience.
Participants love this Emotional Wellness Retreat . They say nice things. To read participant reviews of the Himalayan Writing Retreat, click here.
This workshop is open to all people and non-writers are welcome. It has been put together using scientifically validated practices and theories from the field of psychology.
Through a host of different exercises you reflect on your life and process difficult emotions. A few of these exercises may involve writing. These activities help you gain insights into your thoughts and feelings. You discover a new perspective and learn ways to deal with life’s challenges. Many of these exercises are personal and others are done as a group.
Sharing is always optional and participants privacy is paramount.
Meditation sessions, visualization and mindfulness exercises further enrich the experience and help calm the mind. Again, this Emotional Wellness Retreat is not about writing skills, and you only share what you choose, and feel comfortable with.
The Himalayan Workshop sessions are held in the open or in the book lounge. Some meals maybe served in the open too if the weather is good. The outdoors are a very inviting and inspiring here.
While you’re here, walk in the wilderness, bask in the warmth of a fireplace, and gaze at the stars. Let your eyes feast on the magnificent Himalayan dusks and dawns, your ears on the live birdsong concert, your lungs on clean crisp mountain air, and your taste buds on the delectable, homely fare.
About the Instructor
Dr. Vandita Dubey
Dr. Vandita Dubey is a US licensed Psychologist and a published author. She holds a Doctoral Degree in Clinical Psychology from the Illinois School of Professional Psychology. Her book “Parenting in the age of Sexposure” was published by Rupa in 2016. She provides individual and group therapy online. She is the expert psychologist featured on the popular youtube channel Zen-brain.
You can learn more about her and read her blog at http://vanditadubey.com/
Detailed Program – Emotional Wellness Retreat
- Day 1: The Rear-view: Looking at the past, But with a new perspective – through a new lens.
- Day 2: Examine the present. Discover your own strengths, and identify issues that have been bothering you.
- Day 3: Plan for the future. Our biggest demon is often the inner critic. Take it by the horns. Let go of unhelpful emotions.
Travel and Stay
Once here, you will be sharing a room with a fellow participant (unless we’ve confirmed a single). All essentials like food, hot water, towels etc. are provided. No hidden costs.
It can snow in winter. Weather can vary and the weather chart of Mukteshwar (12 km from the retreat) is here. A pair of sturdy walking shoes, some rain protection and an extra layer or two are always a good idea.
Depending upon where you travel in from, you can reach us by road, train or air. Even if flying or taking a train, the final stretch is a drive, and the last 150 metres is a walk.
The retreat is a 370 km/9 hours drive from Delhi. If driving, we recommend you leave early. Note that parking at the retreat is on the road – we do not have any private parking. We have limited driver accommodation, so please check in advance.
Overnight Volvo buses ply between Haldwani and Delhi, the more reliable of which are government operated. You con book those here. Private Volvos and Sleeper buses also ply between Delhi and Haldwani, which you can book on redbus. Make sure you pick a bus with a high (4+) rating.
There are three trains a day from Delhi to Kathgodam, the nearest train station. Some others also come in from Kolkata, Lucknow and Dehradun. From Delhi, Ranikhet Express is a convenient overnight train both ways, but finding tickets can be difficult.
Most people prefer to take the Kathgodam Shatabdi (Delhi dep: 6.20 AM, Kathgodam Arr: 11.40 AM). A cab from Kathgodam to Satkhol takes about 2.5 hrs / Rs. 2200 (more for a big car). Cabs are often shared by participants.
There are daily flights from Delhi to Pantnagar. A cab from Pantnagar to Satkhol takes about 3.5 hr / Approx INR 4K.
There are direct flights from Mumbai and Bangalore to Bareilly 3-4 days a week. Satkhol is a 5hr / INR 5.5k cab ride from Bareilly. (More for a big car). Cabs are often shared by participants.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why should I choose HWR Workshops?
- Personal Attention: We don’t take more than 10 students in a class. You get a lot of personal attention and feedback. No classrooms of 20-30 people or one-way pre-recorded videos here.
- Class Quality: For most courses, we filter our participants. You can’t just pay and sign up. We need to see a writing sample (in our application form) to ensure the class is of a uniform standard.
- Cost per hour: Our courses are long and intense. As an example, the Creative Writing course is 18000 for 24 contact hours (3 days, 8 hours each day). The cost per hour = 750 / hour. That is comparable to many of the “cheaper” courses.
- Quality of faculty: No lightweights here. Many of our faculty are award-winners. All are experts and great teachers. We don’t settle for average.
- Feedback scores: Across courses, we are rated 4.5/5, or higher. You can read our reviews HERE.
- Do I get a certificate of participation?
Yes, certificates are available on request.
- Any discounts for students / other categories?
At the Himalayan Writing Retreat, we follow a strict No-Discount policy.
- Is the workshop fee refundable?
Our cancellation policy is as follows:
- Online Writing Workshop: 100% refund if cancellation 2 weeks before the event start date, 50% if cancellation one week before the start date, 0% if less than one week before the start date.
- Creative Writing Workshop at the Himalayas: 100% refund if cancellation 4 weeks before the event start date, 50% if cancellation two weeks before the start date, 0% if less than two weeks before the start date.
- Is the Himalayan Writing Retreat a business or an NGO?
The Himalayan Writing Retreat is a social enterprise. It works closely and actively with two local NGOs in its community work initiatives: Chirag and Alaap. In 2020, HWR raised INR 6.1 Lakhs to support the Chirag School.
Have more questions? Feel free to write to us at email@example.com or connect with us at +91 73035 16665 (Call/ WA/Signal).
Additional Guests, Single room and Cancellation Policy:
Additional Guests may stay with participants, subject to availability. Their stay is charged at a rate of INR 4000 per night including meals and taxes for a shared room.
Single rooms can be requested but are subject to availability. The additional cost for a single room is 3000 per night including meals and taxes.
100% refund if cancellation 4 weeks before event start date, 50% if cancellation is done two weeks before start date, 0% if less than two weeks before start date.
If participants test positive for Covid-19 before travel (RTPCR Report Required), full credit will be held for six months for any future event, subject to availability.I understand