Blog & Article Writing Course (Live, Online, Small group)
October 16 – October 23
This Blog & Article Writing Course is about high quality writing. Whether you’re writing for your personal blog or for someone else, in this Blog & Article Writing Course we teach you how.
We start with the Why. Why are you writing? To convince? To entertain? Or inform? And of course, we need to know who are we writing for.
That clarity guides your writing. That also directs your research and helps make your writing persuasive.
Then you start writing, and you may get what Anne Lamott calls “Shitty First Drafts” – three words that are crass and beautiful at the same time. Crass for obvious reasons. Beautiful because Anne Lamott goes on to write, “…All good writers write them. That is how they end up with good 2nd drafts & terrific 3rd drafts”
Not-so-great first drafts are the raw material for great blog & article writing.
While writing that first draft, you also think about what angle can you give to your argument. Let us talk about the rampant practice of awards being sold a.k.a vanity awards. The most predictable (yawn) angle could be the upright examination of the ethics of buying an award. A satirical angle could be could be talking about awards as a form of therapy. Yet another could be writing a “buyers guide” to awards.
The angle you take can be refreshing and interesting. It can help you hook the reader, but it will need a string strong title, sub-title, and a brilliant opening line.
Having finished our first drafts, we now must clean up and finalize our writing. Edit the words into the best arrangements possible: their best selves. This Blog & Article Writing Course shows you how to turn a bad first draft into a good second draft into an awesome third draft. We edit our article not just for language – that’s the easy part. we also edit for flow, structure and clarity.
Editing and research differ from writing, but a content writer needs to know these as well as she knows writing. Writing is creative, right brain stuff where you want your brain to wander and take trips – sometimes induced. Editing and research are grounded, rational and logical – the opposite of trippy.
This three-day Blog & Article Writing course will help participants master the art of writing great blog posts & content.
The online course is not one way communication. It is live. Interactive. Personal. Only the Himalayas are replaced by your bedroom window. But the teaching and the camaraderie remains unchanged.
This workshop is divided between two weekends:
16th, 22nd and 23rd October – 10 AM – 1 PM IST each day
During these three days different aspects of blog and article writing writing. (Day-wise detailed program is shared in the section given below)
Participation in this workshop is limited to 10 only and we enroll approved participants on a first-come first-served basis. To enroll, please fill out the form below. It helps us get to know you better as a writer, and also as a fit for this workshop.
About the Instructor
Chetan Mahajan leads this course. Chetan has spent two decades working in on-line learning, both in the US and India. He has taught on-line as far back as 2006 as a faculty member at the University of Phoenix online.
Chetan is a Penguin-published author and an award-winning blogger. Chetan and his wife Dr. Vandita Dubey (also a published author) moved to the Himalayas five years ago. There they founded the Himalayan Writing Retreat. Chetan is now a full-time author and works as a writing coach independently as well as with the London based the writing coach. He also writes for The Mint, Outlook Magazine, HT Brunch, Reader’s Digest and Hindu Business Line.
Detailed Program – Blog & Article Writing Course
All the aspirants will be assigned some pre-word. During these three days, through various activities and assignments we will try to provide good understanding about all the aspects of blog and article writing. This course has been widely loved by our past aspirants.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why should I choose HWR Workshops?
- Personal Attention: We don’t take more than 15 students in a class. You get a lot of personal attention and feedback. No classrooms of 20-30 people or one-way pre-recorded videos here.
- Class Quality: For most courses, we filter our participants. You can’t just pay and sign up. We need to see a writing sample (in our application form) to ensure the class is of a uniform standard.
- Cost per hour: Our courses are long and intense. As an example, the Creative Writing course is 18000 for 24 contact hours (3 days, 8 hours each day). The cost per hour = 750 / hour. That is comparable to many of the “cheaper” courses.
- Quality of faculty: No lightweights here. Many of our faculty are award-winners. All are experts and great teachers. We don’t settle for average.
- Feedback scores: Across courses, we are rated 4.5/5, or higher. You can read our reviews HERE.
- Do I get a certificate of participation?
Yes, certificates are available on request.
- Any discounts for students / other categories?
At the Himalayan Writing Retreat, we follow a strict No-Discount policy.
- Is the workshop fee refundable?
Our cancellation policy is as follows:
- Online Writing Workshop: 100% refund if cancellation 2 weeks before the event start date, 50% if cancellation one week before the start date, 0% if less than one week before the start date.
- Creative Writing Workshop at the Himalayas: 100% refund if cancellation 4 weeks before the event start date, 50% if cancellation two weeks before the start date, 0% if less than two weeks before the start date.
- Is the Himalayan Writing Retreat a business or an NGO?
The Himalayan Writing Retreat is a social enterprise. It works closely and actively with two local NGOs in its community work initiatives: Chirag and Alaap. In 2020, HWR raised INR 6.1 Lakhs to support the Chirag School.
Have more questions? Feel free to write to us at email@example.com or connect with us at +91 73035 16665 (Call/ WA/Signal).
** 6000 is the early bird price. Regular price of INR 7000 applicable after September 30, 2022.**
Our Cancellation Policy:
100% refund if cancellation 2 weeks before event start date, 50% if cancellation is done one week before start date, 0% if less than one week before start date.I understand